Thursday, September 29, 2011

Thursday's version

Mark E Tisdale
Geek With a Camera!
https://plus.google.com/u/0/109412400081371783885/posts

Leo Laporte - Twitter - Public
leolaporte: Apple still doesn't invite me to their press events. Hey Apple, do you think you could stream Oct 4 for those of us stuck out on the cu...
1 person publicly reshared this - Dave Holle
1 person liked this - Brenda Young
4 previous comments from Erick Rosas, Kevin Kallbreier, Kevin York and 1 other
Tony vc - you can see it from an Apple store, I did so last event11:27 pm
sadibou sow - yeah apple dont really need twit's advertising do they... its a pity though, you are such a nice guy, makes them look like *sses10:13 am

https://twitter.com/#!/leolaporte

leolaporte Leo Laporte
Apple still doesn't invite me to their press events. Hey Apple, do you think you could stream Oct 4 for those of us stuck out on the cu...
27 Sep Favorite Retweet Reply
Leo Laporte
leolaporte Leo Laporte
@
@craniumslows My allegiance is to the geek community, not Apple Inc., and it always will be.
27 Sep
Leo Laporte
leolaporte Leo Laporte
@
@tork811 I don't really care - plenty of other people will cover it - but it does say something about how Apple treats the press.
27 Sep
Leo Laporte
leolaporte Leo Laporte
@
@screaminlunatic How do you know I don't reply. (Twitter sucks for conversation - try me on Google+.)
27 Sep

http://getfireant.com/
In a world of music, art and entertainment you’ve gotta have a way to manage it all. That’s why there is FireAnt, FireAnt is a great way to discover amazing new content from the world of internet TV, podcasts and many new forms of entertainment being created each and every day.

http://www.mgid.com/pnews/1052102/i/5671/pp/3/1/

http://www.designyourway.net/blog/inspiration/incredible-gadgets-you-would-kill-for-20-examples/#1

Chris Pirillo - Google Reader - Public
Could Linux Gain Market Share Through Custom OEM Distros? - lockergnome's YouTube Activity
I uploaded a YouTube video: A member of the LockerGnome community at large asked: "As OEMs begin to explore the possibilities of having their own operating systems (WebOS from HP an example), do you think this could give Linux the boost it needs to gain significant market sh...

Could Linux Gain Market Share Through Custom OEM Distros?
http://youtu.be/9abCMGd0zxQ

Hubbell Power Systems Promise
http://youtu.be/oIeuky5e64o

12:32 pm
Chris Pirillo - dlvr.it - Public
The Four People You Should Follow on Twitter http://bit.ly/nGtWtd

12:32 pm
Chris Pirillo - dlvr.it - Public
Three New Facebook Features I Actually Like http://bit.ly/oWn3HM

-----------------------------

Antoine RJ Wright - Google Reader - Public
Should we all have coaches? - ESPN.com - TrueHoop
NBA players are professionals who have put in tens of thousands of hours honing their craft. When most of us reach the point where we have been doing something that much for that long we move beyond further instruction.

Surgeons and lawyers and Wall Street executives, for instance ... after some hard training, it assumed they don't need much more in the way of teaching or coaching.

But even when NBA players are 35 and have been elite players for two decades, they still have somebody watching and giving feedback.

Which approach is smarter?

Atul Gawande is a surgeon, and an extraordinary writer, and he has recently come to think that the NBA approach may be better -- and has even recruited a retired surgeon to act as his own personal surgical coach, with good results.

As Gawande writes in The New Yorker, his eyes were opened to the power of coaching by a chance tennis game in Massachusetts:

    One July day a couple of years ago, when I was at a medical meeting in Nantucket, I had an afternoon free and went looking for someone to hit with. I found a local tennis club and asked if there was anyone who wanted to play. There wasn’t. I saw that there was a ball machine, and I asked the club pro if I could use it to practice ground strokes. He told me that it was for members only. But I could pay for a lesson and hit with him.

    He was in his early twenties, a recent graduate who’d played on his college team. We hit back and forth for a while. He went easy on me at first, and then started running me around. I served a few points, and the tennis coach in him came out. You know, he said, you could get more power from your serve.

    I was dubious. My serve had always been the best part of my game. But I listened. He had me pay attention to my feet as I served, and I gradually recognized that my legs weren’t really underneath me when I swung my racquet up into the air. My right leg dragged a few inches behind my body, reducing my power. With a few minutes of tinkering, he’d added at least ten miles an hour to my serve. I was serving harder than I ever had in my life.

    Not long afterward, I watched Rafael Nadal play a tournament match on the Tennis Channel. The camera flashed to his coach, and the obvious struck me as interesting: even Rafael Nadal has a coach. Nearly every élite tennis player in the world does. Professional athletes use coaches to make sure they are as good as they can be.

    But doctors don’t. I’d paid to have a kid just out of college look at my serve. So why did I find it inconceivable to pay someone to come into my operating room and coach me on my surgical technique?

-----------------------------

Water explosion
http://vimeo.com/27899761

Why Would You Spend Your Life Savings on a Mac?
http://youtu.be/DD_zv184Tz8

No comments:

Post a Comment